What is Duct Cleaning and When Should you do it?
- On December 17, 2015
- 0 Comments
- Cleaning, Dry Air, Dryer Vent, Duct Cleaning, Filters, furnace, Indoor Air Quality, Kanata, MERV rating, Ottawa, winter
If you have a central air system keeping your home comfortable, you’ve also got a series of ducts that act as a passageway to distribute conditioned air throughout your home.
Over time, these ducts can build up dirt, mould, spores, pollen, human and pet dander, viruses and other debris. These particles are then picked up by the air and spread throughout your home. This can lower the indoor air quality of your home and over a long period of time, or if anyone in your home has allergies, it can really start to affect your family’s comfort. These effects can also be magnified because of the dry air in the winter.
Duct cleaning is a necessary part of owning an HVAC system that uses ducts, but it isn’t needed very often.
At Team Harding, we recommend that you have your ducts cleaned every 3-5 years.
There are some circumstances in which you should consider having a duct cleaning sooner. If your home has recently gone under renovations, a lot of dust and other debris can be disturbed and caught up in your system. Also, if you recently moved into your home, we recommend duct cleaning because it’s hard to know when it was last done and most homes go under renovations before being sold.
Of course, we also recommend you do this a little more frequently if anyone in your home suffers from allergies because it will make their day-to-day life a little easier. If you are still suffering from allergies after a duct cleaning, you may want to check the MERV rating on your furnace filter.
You may still be wondering what duct cleaning will entail. Here is a breakdown of the quick and easy process of a duct cleaning with Team Harding:
- Before we begin we will provide you with an accurate quote, as the quote depends on the number of ducts you have in your home.
- Once you approve the quote, we connect our powerful 15,000 CFM vacuum from our truck to the main duct lines near your furnace.
- We then blast debris from all the ducts in your home down towards the main duct lines and out of the house.
- We clean your dryer vent, as it is almost always full of lint, cleaning it helps your dryer run better, and safer.
- Once the cleaning of the ducts is complete all access holes are sealed air tight.
- Our quality trained technicians provide you with a new filter (excluding rare sizes).
- We make sure there is no mess left behind in the home! At Harding we do not employ time limits, our work is done when the system is clean at a flat rate provided before the work.
If you find that your home’s indoor air quality is lower than it used to be, you may need a duct cleaning. Click here to schedule an appointment with Team Harding!