When was the last time you checked your furnace filter? If you can’t remember (or it’s been more than 30 days), it’s definitely time to head to your mechanical room and make sure it’s not clogged.
To protect the furnace and ensure healthy indoor air, we always recommend homeowners check filters monthly and replace them as needed. Operating a furnace with a dirty filter can strain the whole system (decreasing efficiency) and allow dust and debris to circulate throughout the home, aggravating respiratory and breathing issues.
Furnace Filter Tips:
- Incorporate filter maintenance as part of your monthly routine. Many homeowners find it helpful to check the filter on the first or last day of the month.
- When you do replace the filter, write the date on it. That way, you won’t have to try and remember when it was last replaced.
- Make sure to correctly install the filter. Find the arrows and ensure that they are pointing toward the furnace and away from the return duct.
- Always choose the right type of filter for your system and make sure to have a backup supply at home.
- Safety first! Always turn off the power to the furnace before checking and changing the filter.
Checking and changing the furnace filter is usually not at the top of a homeowner’s mind, but it’s an incredibly important maintenance task. Many furnace problems and indoor air quality issues are a result of a clogged furnace.
If you have any questions about your heating system
or furnace filter, don’t hesitate to contact us.
If you’re worried about your indoor air quality, we can also recommend filtration systems to remove allergens and other contaminants from your house.
Harding Heating & Air Conditioning is the Ottawa region’s furnace experts. We have the knowledge and experience to help with furnace installation, furnace repair and furnace service.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
for home comfort tips.