Summer is all about hot dogs and hamburgers, but fall is the time for savoury sausages to shine. Oktoberfest may have been canceled this year, but you can still enjoy your own bratwurst at home with this great recipe.
- 4 sausage buns
- 4 bratwurst sausages
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- ½ tablespoon caraway seeds
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Slice the onion into thin strips and crush 2 cloves of garlic. Place both in a bowl.
- Next, drizzle olive oil over top of the sliced onions and garlic.
- Sprinkle caraway seeds, salt, and pepper over top.
- Toss until the onions and garlic are mixed and evenly coated in oil and spices.
- Transfer the mixture to aluminum foil and wrap it like a packet. Be sure to use two layers of thick aluminum foil to ensure the packet won’t break open.
- Bring the grill up to medium-high heat.
- Place the foil packet of onions directly onto the grill and let it cook for roughly 10 minutes, or until the onions start to become translucent.
- Place the bratwurst on the grill and cook until they are browned on all sides and cooked through.
- Once the bratwurst’ are cooked through, open the onion packet and place the bratwurst in the packet for 5 minutes so they can stew in the flavours.
- Finally, lightly toast the buns on the grill, and remove the bratwurst and onions from the grill.
Pro Plating Tip
Place the bratwurst in the toasted buns and top with the cooked onions. Serve with a side of grainy mustard, sauerkraut, and a crisp pickle!
Warm Up with Team Harding
This meal is sure to warm you up on a brisk fall day, and you may even decide to have Oktoberfest at home every year!
Harding The Fireplace has Ottawa’s grill needs covered with over 4,500 square feet of retail showroom stocked with the brands you know and love. Our knowledgeable staff is here to work with you to find quality products that suit your lifestyle.