Is there anything your grill can’t do? For those of us who love to grill all year long, diving into a diverse array of delicious recipes, it can feel like a grill is a one-size-fits-all option for incredible dishes! If you’ve mastered traditional grilling, you may want to consider giving baking on your grill a try! Here’s what you need to know about how to bake on your grill.
Baking on Your Grill
Learning how to bake on your grill is a lot more simple than it may seem. Where traditional grilling–let’s use grilling a steak as an example–is done by searing your food on your grill grates, often flipping gently until cooked, baking on your grill is done with the lid closed as if your grill was an oven.
To bake on your grill, keep these steps in mind:
- Preheat your grill as you would your oven
- Mix your baked goods by following the recipe
- Pour contents into a baking pan or sheet
- Place pan or sheet onto the grill and close the lid
- Set your timer and do not open the lid again until it’s time to take the food out
- Open the lid after the allotted time and check to ensure your baked goods are cooked thoroughly
- Take the baked goods from the grill and let stand for a few minutes before serving
Tips to Keep in Mind
When you learn how to bake on your grill, you may be surprised at how similar the process is to baking in an oven. While you’re right, it is very similar and just as easy to bake on your grill as it is to bake in your oven, there are a few key tips that you should keep in mind to ensure the best possible baking experience:
- Always set your grill about 25° higher than what the recipe calls for. This helps to account for lost heat when opening your grill’s lid.
- If you’re working with a charcoal grill, the different woods you use can affect the taste of your baked goods. Consider using apple wood when baking apple pie to add a little bit of extra smokey apple flavour.
- Regardless of if you’re grilling or baking on your grill, make sure to always take the necessary safety precautions like wearing heat-resistant gloves, keeping the area around your grill uncluttered, and ensuring that all kids and pets are kept away from the grilling area.
For more delicious grilling and baking recipes and expert cooking tips,
Check out Team Harding’s recipes page!
Team Harding has Ottawa’s grill needs covered with over 4,500 square feet of retail showroom stocked with the brands you know and love. Our knowledgeable staff is here to work with you to find quality products that suit your lifestyle.