Is Your Old Thermostat Costing You Money?
- On June 8, 2022
- 0 Comments
- AC, AC Maintenance, air conditioner, air conditioning, Air Quality, Cooling, Energy Efficiency, Harding, home comfort, HVAC, HVAC tips, Ottawa, Summer, thermostat, Thermostat setting, Thermostat settings, Thermostat tips
The cost of keeping a home cool throughout an Ottawa summer can leave any homeowner looking for ways to save money and cut cooling costs. One thing that most homeowners do not look at when considering the efficiency of their HVAC system is their thermostat. This is a mistake because an old thermostat can actually end up costing you money. Here’s how.
An Old Thermostat Will Cost You Money In The Long Run
The average life expectancy of a thermostat is around ten years old. If your thermostat is older than ten, it can cause you some real issues as general wear and tear may leave it to miscommunicate with your furnace or air conditioner. An older thermostat may end up costing you in the long run, as miscommunication can cause short cycling, over productivity, or even poor/uneven cooling or heating.
How To Tell If You Need A New Thermostat
If you’re doing everything you can to improve efficiency and reduce energy costs but you’re still being overcharged to cool your home, it may be because of your old or inefficient thermostat. There are a few surefire ways of knowing that your thermostat is on its way out, including:
- Your thermostat is older than ten years of age
- Your HVAC system doesn’t turn on when you adjust the temperature
- You’ve noticed an increase in your energy bills
- The displayed temperature is inconsistent with the temperature in your home
- Your HVAC system is short cycling
- Your indoor temperatures have begun to fluctuate
How To Save Money With A Smart Thermostat
If your current thermostat is old and needs replacement, don’t just swap it out for a similar model that will end up costing you money. Instead, invest in a smart or programmable thermostat that will help you to control your home temperature remotely, conserve energy, create scheduled heating depending on your daily life, and save you money every month on energy bills.
Interested in a new smart thermostat to reduce your energy bills?
Contact the heating and cooling experts of Team Harding!
Team Harding has been Ottawa’s leader in Heating & Air Conditioning service since 1994. Customer satisfaction is our top priority and our licensed professionals have the skills and experience to meet all of your HVAC needs.