Summer is here and our air conditioners are officially running all day and all night to keep our homes at a cool and comfortable temperature. But blasting our air conditioners throughout our homes isn’t the best for the environment and the carbon footprints we leave, not to mention your wallet. Saving energy and being more efficient is easier than you think, and we’d like to show you how with some tips to reduce summer energy consumption.
1. Ensure the Area Around Your Air Conditioner is Unobstructed
Always maintain a clear area around your unit as any debris that have gathered around or anything leaning against the unit can affect system airflow and force it to increase energy consumption.
2. Adjust Your Thermostat to the Highest Possible Comfortable Temperature
The smaller the difference in temperature between outside and indoors, the less your air conditioner has to work to maintain the cool indoor environment and thus runs more efficiently.
3. Give Your Air Conditioner Some Much-Needed Love
Call Team Harding for air conditioner maintenance to keep it performing well, which includes cleaning and safety inspections! Clean air filters keep your air conditioner’s air flowing through easily and helps to keep it efficient. You may even consider upgrading to a unit with a higher SEER rating (the rating used to determine air conditioner efficiency). The higher the SEER rating on the air conditioning, the more efficient it is. An air conditioner has a lifespan of 12 to 15 years, and newer units use much less energy than older units. Check for higher SEER ratings for more efficient air conditioners!
Some other things you can do to further reduce summer energy consumption include:
- Checking for household cracks – Make sure air is not escaping through fireplaces, doors and windows.
- Install more ceiling fans – The breeze of a fan can circulate cold air easily.
- Decorate rooms with light, cool tones – Lighter colours allow rooms to appear brighter, thus helping you reduce how much you are using your lights.
- Plant more trees – You’re helping the environment while blocking sun near your home.
- Always close doors and windows tightly – Making sure no air escapes.
- Turn off your air conditioner while leaving the house for long periods of time – If you’re not there why have it on for a week while you’re on vacation.
- Close your draperies or blinds when the sun is hitting the side of your house. You’ll notice a big difference.
These are just a few of the ways you can reduce summer energy consumption. At Harding, we have many products that may interest someone who is looking to reduce their carbon footprint. Click here to browse our selection of quality air conditioners that can help you reduce your summer energy consumption this season.
Contact Team Harding for More
If you have any questions about heating and air conditioning, don’t hesitate to call Harding Heating & Air Conditioning. As the Ottawa Region’s premier cooling provider, we are more than happy to help with any of your HVAC service needs. We are even available for 24/7 emergency after hours service, so you’re never stuck without a helping hand!
Team Harding has been Ottawa’s leading home comfort specialist since 1994. We are a family-owned and operated local business and all of our installers and technicians are fully licensed.