Skirt steak is a great cut of meat for grilling because it tastes best with a short, hot cook. Prepare the meat the night before to let it absorb all the flavours of the marinade.
Steak Marinade Ingredients
- 2 lbs. skirt steak
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ cup lime juice
- ½ cup olive oil
Grilling Steak Instructions
- Place all ingredients into a large Ziploc bag.
- Seal the top of the bag and remove as much air as possible.
- Leave the steak in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, preheat the grill to the highest temperature.
- Remove steak from marinade and cook for 2 minutes on one side and 1½ minutes on the other until it reaches medium or medium-rare.
- Let the meat rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Top with chimichurri sauce.
Chimichurri Sauce Ingredients
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oregano, finely chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
Chimichurri Sauce Instructions
- Combine garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper and red pepper in a bowl and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the parsley and oregano.
- Drizzle and stir in the olive oil.
- Serve over grilled skirt steak.
Harding The Fireplace carries a selection of quality grills that are perfect for this recipe.
Harding The Fireplace serves the grilling needs of the greater Ottawa area. Our expert staff are always more than happy to help you find the perfect grill or accessory to step up your grill game.