Most people don’t associate grilling with desserts, let alone ice cream sundaes, but once you try grilled banana splits, you may never make them any other way!
Ingredients (2 sundaes)
- 2 large, ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 Pizzelles (Italian waffle cookies)
- 6 scoops of your favourite ice cream (we suggest the classic chocolate, vanilla and strawberry combo)
- 1 cup of whipped cream
- 2 tablespoons of chocolate sauce
- 2 tablespoons of caramel sauce
- 6 maraschino cherries
- 2 tablespoons crushed peanuts (optional)
Grilled Banana Preparation
Grilling bananas is quick and easy. It releases the natural sugars in the fruit and creates a great hot-cold flavour combination when added to a sundae.
- Slice the bananas in half lengthwise and leave the peel on
- Dust bananas with brown sugar and lightly rub into fruit
- Place skin side down, uncovered, on a well-oiled grill for 5-10 minutes
- The skin should be mostly black and the sugar will caramelize when they are ready
- Let the bananas cool slightly and carefully remove the peel
If you’d like, you can also carefully place the halved bananas that you removed from the peels on the oiled grill surface to create char marks!
- Place 3 scoops of ice cream in a line, in a dish
- Place one half of a grilled banana on each side of the ice cream
- Break 2 Pizzelles in half and place along both sides of the sundae
- Put a dollop of whip cream on each ice cream scoop
- Drizzle chocolate and caramel sauce over the sundae
- Place a cherry on each dollop of whip cream
- Garnish with crushed peanuts (optional)
Pro Tip: Set up a sundae bar to get the whole family involved and create a dessert experience that they’ll remember for years to come!
Team Harding carries a great selection of quality grills that are perfect for cooking any meal.
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out some of our other tasty recipes.
Team Harding has Ottawa’s grill needs covered with over 4,500 square feet of retail showroom stocked with the brands you know and love. Our knowledgeable staff is here to work with you to find quality products that suit your lifestyle.
Connect with us on Facebook and Instagram,
and let us know how the recipe turns out.