As colder weather approaches, it’s time to think about all the home maintenance tasks that need to be done to prepare for winter. That includes HVAC maintenance. Here in the heart of Canada’s capital, where winters can be particularly harsh, a well-maintained furnace isn’t just a matter of comfort; it’s a necessity. We’ve put together a furnace maintenance checklist for Ottawa homes so you know what you need to do to keep your home cozy when the temperature drops.
Why & When Does My Furnace Require Maintenance?
Regular furnace maintenance is essential for several reasons, including:
- Improving and maintaining efficiency.
- Keeping your family safe.
- Prolonging the lifespan of your furnace.
- Enhancing indoor air quality.
- Preventing sudden breakdowns and emergencies.
- Ensuring your warranties remain valid.
- Reducing your overall costs.
You should schedule professional furnace maintenance annually, at a minimum. The best time to do this is before the heating season. There are also maintenance tasks that you should do.
Checklist for Furnace Maintenance
In preparation for winter, perform the following tasks:
Schedule Professional Inspection/Maintenance
- Arrange for a professional HVAC technician to inspect and service your furnace before the heating season begins.
Adjust the Thermostat
- Check that your thermostat is working correctly and is set to ‘HEAT’.
- Set the desired temperature.
- Replace the batteries if needed.
Check CO Detectors
- Check the detectors to ensure they’re working correctly.
- If you don’t have any, install a CO detector near your furnace and sleeping areas.
Clear the Area
- If cluttered, clean and remove clutter from the area around the furnace.
- Keep the area around your furnace clear.
Keep your heating system operating effectively and efficiently by doing the following tasks monthly:
- Inspect the furnace filter.
- Replace or clean it if it’s dirty.
- Consider using high-efficiency filters for improved indoor air quality.
Inspect Vents & Registers
- Ensure all vents and air registers are open and unobstructed.
- Clean any dust or debris on them.
Check for Strange Sounds & Smells
- Listen for unusual noises or vibrations coming from the furnace while it’s running.
- Be attentive to any strange odours, such as burning smells.
- If you notice anything unusual, contact Team Harding for inspection and repair.
Clear the Outdoor Unit
- Trim vegetation around the unit to maintain airflow and efficiency.
- Regularly check to ensure the outdoor unit is clear of debris, ice, and snow.
Furnace Installation, Service & Repair in Ottawa
Your furnace is the unsung hero of your home during the winter. Keeping it in peak condition isn’t just about comfort; it’s about safety, efficiency, and peace of mind. With this checklist, you have the tools to care for your heating system.
By performing these monthly and annual tasks, you’ll ensure that your furnace operates at its best when you need it most. Don’t leave your comfort and safety to chance in the face of Ottawa’s frigid winters, do your part and leave the rest to Team Harding!
Team Harding has been Ottawa’s leading home comfort specialist since 1994. We are a family-owned and operated local business and all of our installers and technicians are fully licensed.